Dying your hair a different color, or just touching up pieces of gray bits, can be fun and great. But have you ever noticed that afterward your hair just feels brittle and dry? That’s completely normal to have happen after dyeing your hair, but it’s also something that you should try to combat. With these tips on how to soften hair after dyeing, you’ll be able to have meticulously dyed hair, and still have it be nice and moisturized.
How To Soften Hair After Dyeing
Condition Your Hair Right After Dyeing
After dyeing your hair and rinsing it out, you should use some conditioner to add some moisture back into your hair. Usually, the boxed hair dye comes with some conditioner, but you might want just to use the conditioner that you usually use after washing your hair. But only condition your hair after rinsing out the dye. You should wait two to three days before rewashing your hair and try not to get it wet because this helps your hair recover after being dyed.
Deep Conditioning Treatment
If you’re noticing that your hair is very dry after dying your hair, you might want to consider adding a [easyazon_link identifier=”B01MYMY1YO” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]deep conditioning treatment[/easyazon_link] into your beauty routine once a week. All you would need to do is go out and find a good deep conditioning treatment at any beauty or general merchandise store. Read over the instructions before applying the treatment because they can vary depending on the type and brand of the treatment.
Usually, all you’ll need to to do to soften hair after dyeing it rub the conditioner into your hair (if you get oily roots, just apply it to the ends of your hair), let it sit for a couple of minutes, and then rinse it out. But sometimes, you can buy deep conditioning treatments that you leave in, so you’ll only need to apply the product to your hair while it’s damp (i.e. after a shower), and you’re ready to go.
Showering Water Temperature
When you shower, you should consider starting out with warm water and finish in the cold. This is because as you’re showering in the warm water, the heat will open up your hair follicles to allow moisture to be soaked in, and then the cold water will seal them back up and trap that moisture. I’m not saying that you should just be taking cold showers, go ahead and take a hot shower just make sure that you finish in the cold so that your hair can be moisturized naturally.
Washing Your Hair
You should avoid washing your hair every day, by washing it every day it a dries it out. Everyone is different when it comes to how often they need to wash their hair, so give it a test run and see how long you can manage without having to wash your hair if it’s only for a couple of days that’s fine. But it’s best to try to hold off as much as you can so that you can prevent your hair from drying out too much. Something that you can do is purchase a shower cap and put your hair up in the cap to prevent it from getting in the way.
Shampoo and Conditioner
Another way of how to soften hair after dyeing is to consider switching out your shampoo and conditioner. You want shampoo and conditioner that is light and sulfate-free, and if you can find something that has added oils in it, that’s a huge plus. If you’ve just dyed your hair following our guide on how to dye your hair safely, you’ll also want to find something that is color-treated hair safe so that it doesn’t strip out the color you just added.
When you’re washing your hair, you should concentrate the shampoo on the roots of your hair and the conditioner on the ends. This is one way of how to soften hair after dyeing as it will nourish the ends of your hair because conditioner tends to have more oils than shampoo does and it prevents you from getting greasy roots.
Heated Styling Tools
Using heated tools, such as curling irons or hair straighteners, can dry out your hair and damage it. Try to avoid using these types of heated styling tools as much as you can, but if you can’t just try to be careful when using them. Try to avoid going over the same spots more than once, and ALWAYS use [easyazon_link identifier=”B0037YF27C” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]heat protectant serum[/easyazon_link] in your hair before using the hot tool.
Trim Your Hair
You should get your hair trimmed regularly; this is a good thing to do because it helps get rid of the damaged and dead pieces of hair and allows your hair to regrow. The ideal amount of time you should get your hair trimmed is about every 6-8 weeks.
Make Homemade Moisturizers!
There are so many things that you can find around your house that would actually help soften hair after dyeing.
- Eggs: Mix three eggs with a tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of coconut oil. Apply the mixture to your hair and let it sit for half an hour, then wash it out thoroughly and let your hair air dry.
- Olive, coconut, castor, or almond oil: the simplest way to use these oils to soften your hair is to take a couple of drops of the oil of your choice, rub it between your hands, and then rub it all throughout your hair.
- Honey: Take enough honey (about a tablespoon or so) and slather it all over your hair and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Wash it out after you let it sit and ta-da! You made your very own home deep conditioning treatment.
- Avocado and Banana: Banana will strengthen your hair and make it healthy, and avocado will add shine and make your hair soft. That is another way to soften hair after dyeingMash together some avocado and banana, then add a couple of tablespoons of an oil of your choice. Mix that all together, apply it liberally to your hair, and let it sit for about an hour. Then just rinse it out, and you should feel and see a difference.
Other Related Posts You Should Read
- 7 Best Keratin Treatment Products: [That Will Make You Fall Deeper in Love with Your Hair!]
- 5 Best Hair curlers for 2017 [At a Price That Doesn’t Kill Your Wallet!]
- 6 Side effects of Hair Dying You Should Know About
- Crochet braids | 12 Crochet Hairstyles With Pictures – [ Includes EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW]
- How to do Crochet Braids [Step by Step] – Including Crochet Braids Care and Maintenance
- 5 Ways To Get Rid of DHT Hair Loss – [ PLUS 7 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW]
- Hair Fall Control : 8 Home Remedies PLUS 6 Ways to Prevent Hair Fall