Introduction on How To Grow Hair Faster
Getting gorgeous hair is every girl’s dream but often too many times we don’t know how to get it long and beautiful. Well, that’s where this articles comes in. We’ll intensively show you how to grow hair faster into the lengths you want. Seat back and let me show you how to become a Rapunzel.
To kick us off with this long article on how to grow hair faster, let’s take a look at just how the hair grows.
THE HAIR GROWTH CYCLE
Hair follows a specific growth cycle which can be broken down into 3 distinct phases.
This is the growing phase of your hair and it greatly determines the overall length of the hair. Hair grows an estimated ½ inch every 28 days. This anagen phase can last up to 5 to 8 years. The longer your hair stays in this stage the better for your hair’s growth. However, some factors like sudden weight loss, stress, poor diet and over-styling will shorten can further shorten this period. The length of this period is also highly dependent on one’s genetics.
This phase is a short intermediate period that lasts for about two weeks which prepares hair to enter the telogen phase. This stage is characterized by cessation of production of melanin in the hair bulb. Hair follicles at this phase of the cycle, renew themselves. The hair follicles then detach themselves from the blood vessels hence cutting off their blood supply resulting into shrinkage of the hair follicle. You should know that as much as hair doesn’t grow at this phase, the stretch and length of the fibers increase.
This dormant period that stretches out for about 3 to 4 months is where shedding takes place as hair follicles prepare for the new hair growth cycle to begin. As this phase comes to an end older hairs fall out and new hair follicles begin to grow. This stage is immediately followed by the anagen phase.
IDENTIFICATION OF YOUR HAIR TYPE
After that in depth analysis of the hair growth cycle we now have to indulge in the wide range of types of hair. Let’s start by understanding and knowing our hair types. Diversity, as we all know is the spice of life. In that same way we all got different hair types. Let’s take a look at them.
To know how to grow hair faster, you first need to know your hair and its needs. There are roughly about 6 hair types. Let’s get started’
Hair type 1 (straight hair)
This hair type gives off most sheen and is naturally straight, I actually find this trait quite impressive. However, this plus has a small perk to it. It tends to be difficult for this hair type to hold curls for long but not to worry, there are numerous breathtaking hair do’s for type 1 haired beauties. Type 1 has a few more categories.
1a. Common among the Asian ladies, this hair type is characterized by a long shaft of hair that is straight from the root to the tip of its end. It also has a lot of shine and is really soft to feel. Now this hair type is completely anti-curls but surprisingly still looks gorgeous as it is. Well, who says you need curls to strut in gorgeousness.
1b. the strands of hair of this hair type have more volume and look fuller as compared to 1a. This hair type does form some tender curls hence the hair isn’t completely straight.
1c. A little coarse to feel, this hair type has a few ringlets here and there. It’s easy to manage and difficult to damage. If those aren’t just the perfect pros of any hair, then I don’t know what is.
Hair Type 2 (Wavy hair)
The “S” shaped hair strands that form natural waves exemplify this hair type. This hair class has a few categories within it.
2a. the light curls this hair type has given beachy outlook. These waves can be straightened out since the frizz in this hair is manageable.
2b. the waves in this hair type are more tightly knit as compared to type 2a. The texture is medium, not so fine, and not so coarse. The waves may seem a little tapered but that’s the beauty of it all.
2c. the one thing I personally envy about this hair type is the bouncy nature of its swirly curls. They just take you in so deep. The tight curls are unstoppable and simply dazzling.
Hair type 3 (Curly Hair)
The queens of curls. I just love this hair type! I mean who wouldn’t love to get curls without any manipulation from styling tools. All you got to do, is wake and Viola! You have your curls. Let’s break down the mini classes within this hair type.
3a. Branded by loose curls with some frizz, this hair type
Is thick with a lot of volume. This doesn’t necessarily mean its coarse. On the contrary, this hair type is very fine but with well-defined curls.
3b. this hair type can simply be explained as this, 3a and 3c got married, had a baby and they named her 3b. It has medium amount of curls, is a little bit coarse and is extremely frizzy
3c. the curls here spiral down the hair shaft to resemble a corkscrew. There is little or no space in between the curls. It is difficult to unravel the curls in bid to straighten the hair.
Hair type 4(Kinky hair)
Type 4 hair sweeps across most African ladies, scooping the half American beauties. Often coarse in texture, this hair type is extremely delicate and needs a lot of care. The natural kinky look it has is undeniably unique and lovely. With the right skills, this hair type unravels into a crown to behold. Let’s take quick look onto to the 3 groups of type 4 hair. This hair types can shrink up to 70% of its original length.
4a. its defined curls and soft texture are the first things you will note about this hair type. It has the S shape pattern with its curls tight.
4b. it has a Z shape pattern. Hair in this group has a fluffy appearance. It should also be noted that this hair type is prone to dryness. This hair type is also prone to shrinking and may often look shorter than it really is.
4c. this is the ultimate kinky diva. Thaw hair has no definitive curl pattern. The curls are formed through twisting and braiding. It’s also prone to shrinkage. This arguably the most delicate hair type.
Now that you have identified your hair type, the next thing to know is your hair’s porosity.
You may be wondering what exactly is hair porosity?
Porosity is simply your hair’s ability to restrain moisture. Knowing your hair’s porosity is key as it shows you just how much moisture your hair needs and what hair product will work best.
Here’s a test to show your hair’s porosity.
Hair Porosity test
After washing your hair clean, take a strand of your hair and put it on a cup full of water.
If the strand of hair floats on the water then your hair has low porosity. This simply means it’s difficult to get moisture into your hair. Getting rid of any build up is the first step of taking care of low porosity hair. Washing your hair with apple cider does just that. Use of a steamer would help a great deal. Use of light oil like jojoba oil and argan oil is also advised.
If the strand of hair takes quite some time to sink then your hair has normal porosity which means it is easy moisturized and easily retains moisture. This hair requires minimal mantainence.
If the hair strand sinks to bottom within no time then your hair has high porosity hence absorbs water easily but doesn’t retain it. This hair often feels dry due to poor retention of moisture. Coconut oil and aloe Vera oil are recommended of highly porous hair. Deep conditioning should also be incorporated into your hair regime. Washing your hair with apple cider vinegar will also help as it helps trapping in moisture by reducing your hair’s pH
Watch this Video on hair porosity test.
3 Porosity Hair Tests. How To Find Out Your Hairs Porosity
How to Grow Hair Faster – 15 Tips to Make Your Hair grow faster
- Use of hair supplements. Hair supplements help boosts your hair’s growth. A few hair supplements include biotin, vitamin A, vitamin C and even fish protein.
- Keep off heat styling tools. Too much heat on your hair greatly damages it. If it’s inevitable to use heat styling tools on your hair, ensure you use a heat protectant which will protect your hair strands from any damage.
- Use the right hair products. We often poison our own hair without knowing. Some ingredients of the hair products we use tend to do more harm than good. The next time you go shopping for hair products be keen on the ingredients. Be on the lookout for any sulphates.
- Balanced diet. You have to realize that whatever you take in, your hair takes in too. Therefore a balanced diet is ingredient to any hair growth manual. In fact it is a basic. Ensure you diet has all the required nutrients.
- Drink water. Water is life not only to us as human beings but also to our hair. Drinking enough water helps swill out any toxins faster hence enhancing hair growth. Adequate water drinking also helps reduce and even get rid of dandruff
- Trim your edges. Ironical as it seems, you must trim your edges if you want your hair to grow. Trimming gets rid of split ends that inhibits your hair’s growth. Have a regular trimming routine and stick to it. But also be careful not to over trim.
- Avoid too tight hairdos. Pulling your too much from its roots doesn’t mean it will grow. This instead damages your hair. Be careful that hairstyles are protective and gentle on your scalp.
More Tips (8-13)
- Avoid over washing. As much your scalp’s cleanliness is key, too frequent washing depletes your hair of its essential oils hence leaving your scalp dry. As you wash it, ensure you use a mild shampoo. Ensure to gently massage your scalp as you wash your hair. This is essential as it improves blood circulation on your scalp.
- Resist the urge to comb every time. Minimizing on combing helps reduces the rate of hair fall, growing your hair by saving a few strands a day. It should also be noted that soft brushes are better and more hair friendly.
- Get silk pillow cases. You may be wondering just what your pillowcase has got to do with your hair growth journey. It has got a lot to do with it. Silk tends to be smoother hence less tangles in your hair when you sleep. This greatly helps reduce hair fall and therefore grows your hair.
- Keep your stress levels low. Your hair is also affected when you’re stressed and this then shuts down its growth system and slows it down. Ensure you get enough rest and calm your nerves with some soft music and a nice meal. If you’re relaxed you give your hair the right atmosphere.
- Avoid combing your when it’s wet. This is a common mistake we all fall victim to. Let your hair air dry then detangle it gently using a comb or try finger combing.
- Condition regularly. Every lady should know this, spread the word. This is key to your hair’s growth. We often forget to condition. Conditioning moisturizes our scalp giving it a good environment for growth.
Extra Tip to make your hair grow faster (14-15)
- Cold water wash. We often wash our hair with hot water not knowing we are stripping it of its natural oil making it dry. Next time remember, cold water is your hair’s best friend.
- Exercise regularly. You may not believe it but exercise does a whole lot of good not only for your body but also for your hair. It helps in blood flow of blood and you know good blood flow means healthier and longer hair.
A little emphasis on the kind of diet you should have to enhance your hair’s growth is in order. Incorporate foods rich in protein to your diet. This will do the trick from the inside.
I’d love to go a little in depth on this since it’s a critical point in faster hair growth. Oiling is simply putting a reasonable amount of oil on your scalp and gently massaging it to infuse it properly into your scalp.
The most common question on every girl’s mind would be, which essential oils should I use? Well, let me help you with that.
- Coconut oil – [easyazon_link identifier=”B01M2WIOR5″ locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]Click here to buy it on Amazon[/easyazon_link]
- Castor oil – [easyazon_link identifier=”B0186U9736″ locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]Buy It on Amazon[/easyazon_link]
- Lavender oil – [easyazon_link identifier=”B00TSTZQEY” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]Get It on Amazon[/easyazon_link]
- Chamomile oil – [easyazon_link identifier=”B00O13LCFE” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]Buy It on Amazon[/easyazon_link]
- Rosemary oil – [easyazon_link identifier=”B000MGOYZE” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]Click here to Buy It on Amazon[/easyazon_link]
- Tea tree oil – [easyazon_link identifier=”B00PHVXIQA” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]Purchase on Amazon -Click here[/easyazon_link]
Gently massage 3 to 5 drops of your essential oil of choice on your scalp for best results.
Oiling should be done twice or thrice a week for dry scalp and once a week for oily scalp to avoid overdoing it.
Watch These Videos Showing How To Grow Hair faster Using the Above Tricks
5 Natural Ways to Make Your Hair Grow Faster.
I for one believe that nature’s way is the way to go. So allow me to indulge in a few natural ways on how to grow hair faster – and do it fast.
- Egg mask– stir up an egg separating the egg white. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and honey and make a paste out of it. Apply it on your hair and let it sit for 20 minutes then wash it off with cold water and a little shampoo. This helps incorporate some protein into your hair.
- Use aloe vera. Take aloe vera juice and apply it on your hair. Leave for about 20 minutes to work out its magic.
- Coconut milk. Extract coconut milk from a coconut and apply it generously on your hair from the roots to the hair shaft all the way up to the hair tp. Let it sit for a few hours then wash it off.
- Hot oil treatment
- Use natural DHT blockers like pumpkin seed oil. [easyazon_link identifier=”B0155LS3QQ” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]Click here To buy my recommended DHT blocker on Amazon[/easyazon_link]
- Green tea. Apply green tea, preferably warm, on your scalp for an hour then rinse it off with cold water. Green tea is packed with antioxidants which boost hair growth by preventing hair loss
Making a hair care regimen
This is your hair schedule that help you know when to nourish your hair, when and how often. Here’s an example of a hair care regimen.
- Wash after two weeks
- Moisturize twice a week
This is applying a generous amount of liquid essential oil n your hair just before washing. This is usually to avoid dryness of your hair after washing since you may be stripped of its natural oils. Prepooing is commonly done using coconut oil. Apply it on your scalp as you do while oiling.
Washing and co-washing
Wash day should be every girl’s favorite day, if you ask me. You get a chance to wash and pamper your hair and scalp, cleansing out any product build up. Washing your hair and doing it right is vital if you want to nurture to its full growth potential. As you wash your hair be keen not to under wash or over wash.
Here’s a brief step by step outline of how to wash your hair.
How to wash your hair
- Begin by detangling your hair gently. You can finger detangle or use a comb and gently detangle.
- Go on to wet your hair with warm water. Warm water opens up your cuticles hence helps in removal of any dirt or product build up in your hair.
- Shampoo your hair focusing on the scalp. Put only a small amount of shampoo to avoid dryness of your hair after washing.
- Gently massage the shampoo over your scalp. Doing this not only helps in cleansing of your hair but also stimulates blood flow which instead stimulates hair growth.
- Rinse thoroughly to ensure all the shampoo is washed away.
- Conditioning is the next step. This is option, but if you decide to condition be keen on the tips of your hair. Leave it in for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse out with cold water to close up your cuticle. Squeeze out any excess water.
- Wrap your hair with a clean t-shirt and dry out any water.
Dos and don’ts of washing hair
- Don’t rinse with hot water
- Don’t shampoo twice
- Don’t use shampoos with sulphates.
- Don’t rub a towel to dry your hair
- Don’t comb your hair when its wet
Use sulphate free shampoos.
Tip: Ensure you get a shampoo and conditioner that works for your hair type.
Co-washing simply means conditioner only washing. This is whereby you leave out the usual shampooing and work with your conditioner only to cleanse your hair. Remember co-washing is recommended for wavy and curly hair that is naturally dry.
How to co-wash
Section your hair into four sections. Apply your conditioner on the scalp working it out from the shafts till the tips of the hair. Do this to all sections and let it stay for five to ten minutes. Rinse out thoroughly.
Products used to co wash
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00EV6T974″ locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Co-Wash Conditioning Cleanser[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B005HIH7YM” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]L’Oréal Paris Ever Crème Conditioning Cleanser[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00EDQWRQ2″ locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”designsauthority-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”n” popups=”n”]Palmer’s Olive Oil Formula Cleansing Conditioner[/easyazon_link]
Conditioning and deep conditioning
We have talked about conditioning in the segment on how to wash your hair so let me not bore you. The only difference between conditioning and deep conditioning is the incorporation of heat in deep conditioning. After conditioning your hair, you put on a shower cap and wrap it up with a scarf to increase the warmth. This is to ensure the product properly infuses in.
Deep conditioning helps in adding volume to your hair, improving elasticity and strengthen your hair.
A dry scalp doesn’t provide the right “soil” for your hair’s growth. Therefore moisturizing your scalp should never be ignored.
Make a moisturizing regimen.
You could moisturize your hair after every two days depending on your scalp’s dryness.
L.O.C and L.C.O
This abbreviation stands for Liquid, Oil and Cream. This is a method of moisturizing
LOC Method: this moisturizing method starts with moisturizing hair with water or a water-base leave-in conditioner, using an oil to seal in that moisture and finishing up with a cream,
LCO Method: similar to the LOC method you begin with water or a water-based leave-in conditioner, then follow by applying a cream then sealing it all with an oil.
VIDEO: How To LOC & LCO Method For Dry Natural Hair
Natural ways of maintaining your hair
Maintenance is key to retain growth. Here are a few ways to maintain your hair
- Cover your hair when you to bed
- Protect your hair from exposure to sun
- Protect your hair from heat
Well, this article has been long, but I hope you have learned every thing you need on how to grow hair faster. Apply the techniques outline above on how to make your hair grow faster. To your beautiful Long hair.
Other Related Posts You Should Read
- 5 Best Coconut Oil for Hair Products – For Beautiful, Shiny, Smooth Hair [LET YOUR HAIR GLOW]
- 7 Best Keratin Treatment Products: [That Will Make You Fall Deeper in Love with Your Hair!]
- Best Curling Iron – [BEST 5 For Exquisite Shiny Curls That Will Turn Heads!]
- 5 Best Hair curlers for 2017 [At a Price That Doesn’t Kill Your Wallet!]
- Crochet braids | 12 Crochet Hairstyles With Pictures – [ Includes EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW]
- How to do Crochet Braids [Step by Step] – Including Crochet Braids Care and Maintenance
- Read More Articles on Beauty and Fashion Designs