We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Experienced across all genders, races and all social classes,hair fall is often frustrating. Hair fall attacks like a thief without notice and the next thing you know, you have patches of baldness. Most of us, don’t know how to tackle it and we often rack our brains for the best possible solution. Well, search no further. We’ve got you covered. But first let’s start by getting to understand the genesis of hair fall.
Medically known as alopecia, hair fall is the gradual loss of hair from your head and/ or other parts of your body. However, it is commonly witnessed on the head.
Facts about hair fall.
Allow me to list a few myths that are often tossed here and there and we often end up believing them.
Myths about hair fall.
- Regular shampooing causes hair fall.
- Intellects and academics are the only people affected by hair loss.
- Plucking out a few grey hairs will boost hair growth on the balding area.
- Wearing a baseball cap will make you go bald.
- Hair fall is only inherited from your mother’s side.
- Hair fall can be cured all together.
- Dandruff flakes cause hair loss.
- Shaving off your hair booths the general growth of your hair and hence making your hair grow thicker and with more volume.
- Hair fall only affects the old.
Now that we know the myths, let’s talk about the truths and facts about hair fall.
Facts about hair fall.
- Mishandling your hair can contribute to hair loss. You may wondering just which practices are considered as mishandling of hair. Use of too much heat to style your hair is one way.
- The diet you have affects the general health and outlook of your hair. Foods with plenty of proteins should be incorporated into your diet. Vitamins are also essential for your hair’s growth.
- On a daily basis, about 100 strands of hair are shed. This completely normal and doesn’t cause hair fall .Infect you won’t even notice.
- Hair fall is mainly genetically caused.
- Hormonal imbalances cause hair loss. In men any hormonal imbalance of androgen causes hair fall, whereas in women an imbalance of estrogen will greatly influence hair fall.
- Use of any chemicals on your hair worsens hair loss further.
- Not all types of hair fall are treatable.
- Hair fall may be seasonal in some people.
Causes of hair fall.
In order to know how to tackle it, you have to know just what the root cause of hair fall is. These causes vary between women and men, Lets start with the general cause of hair loss that cuts across both men and women.
- Poor nutrition. Hair derives nutrients from the body for its growth and to maintain its health. A deficiency of proteins and vitamins in the body may cause weak hair strands that easily fall out.
- Use of chemicals. Frequent use of chemicals on your hair gradually poisons the root causing the hair strand to fall off.
- Infections on your scalp. Fungal infections on your scalp also causes hair fall. Anti-fungal medicines remedy this condition.
- Emotional stress. This causes the destabilization of the body’s balance and the body organs won’t function as it should. This leads to an interference in the hair’s growth cycle.
- Physical stress. Your body may undergo physical stress due to any injury, a surgery or even due to a disease. Hair often falls off in clumps.
- Some medicines like antidepressants, gout medicine, medicine used for cancer treatment and anticoagulants often because falling out of hair. Intake of vitamin A in large amounts also caused hair fall. Here is a list of drugs that may cause hair fall.
- ACE inhibitors
- Anti-tuberculosis drugs
- Androgenic agents
- Malfunctioning of the thyroid gland. The thyroid may be overactive causing a condition called hyperthyroidism or it may be underactive causing hypothyroidism. These two conditions often cause hair fall.
- Presence of DHT in your genetic make-up automatically makes you susceptible to hair fall.
- Autoimmune disorders.
- Contraction of diseases. Examples of such diseases include: HIV/AIDS, Syphilis, leishmaniasis, Lichen planus.
Causes of hair fall in women
- Life changes
- Pregnancy and childbirth. Estrogen levels increase during pregnancy. This increase elongates the growth phase of the hair cycle. Delivery brings down this level of estrogen which in turn leads to hair entering the resting phase abruptly.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome(PCOS)
- Too tight hair styles.
- Use of birth control pills. Oral birth control pills are known to spark off hair loss and thinning.
- Iron deficiency. Iron is required for growth and maintenance if hair health.
Causes of hair fall in men
- Male pattern baldness.
Risk factors of getting hair fall.
- Family history. If you have member of your family, be it uncles, aunts, cousins or brothers, who have hair loss there is a possibility that you will have hair loss too.
- Age- as you get older, especially as you approach your 50’s, it is more likely that you will experience hair loss.
- Autoimmune disorder. People living with autoimmune disorders like lupus and even diabetes are more susceptible to hair loss as compared to people without.
- If you are fond of having too tight hairdos, use of chemicals on your hair, this pts you at a higher risk of hair fall.
- Continued use of particular drugs.
- Poor diet.
Signs and symptoms of hair fall.
Catching hair fall early greatly helps in reducing the severity of its damage. Most of us are often oblivious of the changes in our hair until it’s too late. Let’s take a look at the indicators of hair fall.
- Loosening of hair that often fall off during combing and washing.
- Vanishing of hairline over a period of time.
- Patches of bald spots. Smooth circular areas on the scalp.
- Thinning of the hair over a period of time.
- Hair loss on all hairy parts of the body.
- Itching on the scalp- this is a symptom of alopecia.
- A rash on the scalp- this symptom is specific to alopecia.
- Shedding of hair in clumps.
Classes of hair fall.
You may have noticed that there are different types of hair fall depending on its causes, the nature of the hair fall and other factors. Below is an in-depth analysis on the classes of hair fall.
Characterized by Bald patches on the scalp, experts believe that this type of hair loss is caused when one’s own immunity attacks hair follicles. The bald patches increase gradually. Alopecia Areata (AA) can be as a result of extreme stress. If this bald spots are witnessed all over the hairy body part, armpits, eyebrows, pubic areas, then it is then referred to as alopecia totalis or alopecia universalis.
Extreme styles, like too tight braids, tight cornrows, bring about this type of hair loss since hair strands are literally pulled out from the roots. Traction alopecia can result into permanent bald patches if hair strands are pulled from time to time.
This is a group of skin infections that damage hair follicles and leaves scars that are flaky and reddish around the balding. This extremely rare type of hair loss causes permanent hair loss and is very difficult to treat.
This is a hair pulling disorder is a mental illness that prompts one to have the urge to pill out hair strands from the scalp
This is the scientific name for ringworms. Named after its causative agent, this type of hair loss is as a result of ringworms on the scalp. Ringworm vigorously attacks hair follicles causing the scalp to be scaly and itchy with round bald patches
Prompted by emotional stress, this type of hair loss mainly affect hair at the telogen phase in the hair cycle. Research also shows that hormonal imbalance can also cause this type of hair fall.
Also known as anagen hair loss, this is the sudden loss of hair in the anagen phase of the hair growth cycle. This hair loss is mainly due to negligence of air and extreme styling. Toxic chemicals infused into the hair through hair styling products may also cause anagen hair loss. The good news is, this hair loss is treatable.
Androgenetic hair loss.
This type of hair loss clicks in when the clock ticks 50’s.The root cause of this common type of hair loss is the presence of a hormone generated by testosterone called Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). One of its early signs is the receding of the hairline and significant hair loss in the crown. It can worsens with time only difference is that in some the balding happens sooner than later whereas in other it happens over a longer period of time after onset. Affecting a larger percentage of men, androgenic alopecia also affects women.
How to prevent hair fall.
- Proper dieting. Some kinds of hair are not stoppable but can be managed whereas other types can be avoided altogether .A diet with protein rich foods goes a long way in keeping hair loss at bay.
- Ladies, go easy on the styling. I understand the pressure to always look gorgeous but don’t make yourself go bald in the process. Opt for protective styles and loosen up the braids and cornrows
- Keep off dyes and chemical
- Wash your hair and use a shampoo that is mild and without sulphates.
- Scalp massage. It helps in blood circulation in the scalp hence better hair growth
- Go high on vitamin C.
Food to eat for hair fall control.
Your diet should be packed with protein rich food.
Hair fall control oils & Importance of oiling and hydration in relation to hair fall.
Essential oils act as fertilizer to your scalp boosting hair growth. Hydration on the other hand ensures your scalp is not dry hence providing the right environment for hair growth.
Quality and quantity of hair products.
We all have different preferences in regards to the hair products we use be it for shampooing, conditioning or even oiling. It is important to choose the best quality of products for your hair. As you purchase your hair product, ensure you check the ingredients and be sure no sulphates and other harmful chemicals have been used. The quantity we use should also be reasonable. Don’t use too much or too little.
We may not know the impact of dirt and product build up on our hair but trust me, it does a lot of damage in there. Therefore, keeping your hair clean should top your priority list. Your scalp blooms when it’s cleaned ready to be enriched with essential oils that promote hair growth. A dirty scalp means stunted hair growth and eventually shedding off of your precious hair since the pores are clogged up.
Hair hygiene practices
- Wash your hair regularly.
- Shampoo adequately to avoid product build up.
- Avoid use of too many hair products at a go on your as this may result to product build up.
- Minimize use of chemical on your hair.
- Check the elements used to make your favorite hair products and ensure there are no harmful chemicals.
Importance of hair hygiene in hair fall control.
- Exfoliates your scalp
- Promotes hair growth hence keeping balding at bay.
Lifestyle and hair fall.
Whatever you eat, drink, your general status consequently affects whether your hair grows or falls out. Avoid any stressful situations and keep positive. A balanced diet does you more good than you can imagine. Ensure you get time to exercise. According to health.com, all these factors affect your hair either positively or negatively. You choose.
Hair Fall Treatment : How to treat hair loss.
- Hair transplants. This is done by removal of hair follicles that are healthy and transplanting them into the thinning areas.
- Use Jamaican black castor oil on the balding area. Gently massage a small amount of the oil on the affected area. This mainly works for hair loss caused by too tight hairstyles.
- Use of Minoxidil. This liquid is rubbed into the scalp twice a day to increase hair growth and to curb any further hair loss.
- Use of Finasteride. It improves hair groth and slow down hair loss.
- Laser treatment.
- Take supplements to boost hair growth. Use supplements by viviscal to aid in hair growth.
- Get doctor’s help on issues of hormonal imbalance
- Proper dieting
- Low Light Therapy.
Homemade remedies for hair fall.
- Massage coconut oil into your scalp.
- Use hibiscus on your hair. Crush hibiscus flowers and mix with coconut oil. Apply the paste onto your scalp and let it sit for 3 hours then wash it off with a mild shampoo and cold water
- Use Amla on your hair.
- Onion juice. Apply it on scalp the wash it off after 20 minutes with a mild shampoo and cold water. This immensely increases hair growth.
- Commonly used as a hair regrowth remedy, garlic juice has high Sulphur content which increases production of collagen. Add coconut oil into container of crushed garlic cloves. Boil the mixture and let it cool before massaging it into your scalp.
- Aloe vera gel. Apply it on clean hair and let it sit for 20 minutes before washing it off with cold water.
- Green tea. Dip two green tea bags into 2 cups of hot water and leave them there till the water cools down. Rinse your hair using the solution and massage it in. Green tea stimulates hair follicles hence promotes hair growth.
- Lemon juice. In a cup of warm water squeeze 3 lemons. Use this solution on your hair and leave it for 5 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Lemon juice tightens hair pores and hence minimizes hair fall. Be cautious not to get lemon juice into your eyes.
Now get back to your drawing board and get rid of hair fall. Happy hair regrowth good people.
Other Related Posts You Should Read
- Best Hair Straightener Iron – [ REVIEW OF THE BEST 6]
- 7 Best Keratin Treatment Products: [That Will Make You Fall Deeper in Love with Your Hair!]
- Best Curling Iron – [BEST 5 For Exquisite Shiny Curls That Will Turn Heads!]
- 5 Best Hair curlers for 2017 [At a Price That Doesn’t Kill Your Wallet!]
- Crochet braids | 12 Crochet Hairstyles With Pictures – [ Includes EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW]
- How to do Crochet Braids [Step by Step] – Including Crochet Braids Care and Maintenance
- 5 Ways To Get Rid of DHT Hair Loss – [ PLUS 7 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW]
- How To Dye Your Hair Safely – [ To Last Longer And Look Cute At The First Attempt]