I remember the first time I came across the term DHT and DHT hair loss, I did not really put much thought to it, but with time I heard it more often on the lips of friends, family members and even my doctor. So I decided to do some research on it. Quite an interesting topic I must say. Let’s begin with a little knowledge on what is this Dihydrotestosterone hormone.
This is a hormone that arises from testosterone hormone which is responsible for the growth of hair in a human’s body. It inhibits proper growth of the hair follicles. Naturally formed in the body, DHT is crucial for the normal functioning of some organs in males like the prostate gland. Despite its numerous benefits, DHT can cause tremendous hair loss as age progresses. It may also cause hair loss during adolescence, though not common.
To answer the question on many of your minds, DHT affects both men and women irrespective of the race, religion and even intellect.
Functions of DHT
Every organ, cell, and even hormone has its role to play in the functioning of a human body. Now, DHT also has its roles and functions and they are:
- Improves and boosts sexual ability specifically in men.
- Increases strength and muscles in the body.
- It may increase the spread of acne
- Increases memory.
- Good health of the heart.
- Causes male pattern baldness.
- It brings down the risk of cancer.
- Effecting in the treatment of autoimmune disorders
- Aids in reducing one’s cholesterol in individuals.
- Aids in building of protein
- Helps in production of blood cells
- Helps in metabolism of carbohydrates.
- It can also aid in control of hyperglycemia.
DHT also has a list of its cons:
- Increased levels of DHT makes one predisposed to breast cancer.
- May cause acne
- Causes male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness.
- It may cause prostate cancer if its levels are on the rise.
- May lead women to suffer from depression
7 Things you need to know about DHT
- DHT is a product of testosterone after enzymes have worked on it.
- DHT, an androgen, is vital in male as it helps give them their male characteristics.
- Hair follicles shrink due to impact of DHT.
- DHT is five times stronger than its ‘father’ testosterone.
- Aging causes reduction in the levels of DHT and 5-alpha reductase which then causes hair loss and affects hair growth.
- 5% of free testosterone is transformed into DHT.
- The role of DHT in women still remains unknown.
How does DHT cause hair loss?
The effects of DHT are particular to those who have the genetic trait that makes their follicles very sensitive to DHT. Attaching itself to receptor cells of hair follicles that are genetically susceptible. This therefore leads to cutting off hair’s protein, vitamin and mineral supply hence slowly starving it to death. DHT also alters the activity of the insulin-like growth factor, consequently blocking the stimulation of growth for dormant hair follicles, discouraging hair growth hence leaving a gap which would have been filled up by prevention of hair loss.
5 Ways to get rid of DHT from the scalp
Cleansing your scalp from DHT hence reduce.ng its impact is the only way to curb the frustrating effects it drags along. Scalp solution method entails the entire required step to successfully reduce DHT presence on scalp. Let’s begin
Scalp solution method to get rid of DHT
Exfoliation- it’s the first step and very important since it kindles growth of new hair.This step entails thorough cleaning of the scalp while removing any present build up, be it from dirt or from hair products. Dead skin that may end up clogging the pores, is also cleaned away. Excess sebum that is secreted onto the scalp making it oily and prone to clogging of pores, will be cleaned in the process.
Items you will need:
- ½ a tablespoon of Himalayan salt.
- 1 teaspoon of powdered activated charcoal.
- 100 ml of ginger and cucumber juice.
- Lemon juice -1 lemon.
- A blender.
- Mix the powdered activated charcoal, Himalayan salt, lemon juice and ginger and cucumber juice together in a mixing bowl, ensuring all the components are mixed up well.
- Apply the mixture on the areas that are balded or those that have an irritating feeling or itch as you gently massage it onto your scalp.
- Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse gently with warm water and shell off any remaining mixture from your scalp.
This short procedure is aimed at removing the epidermis plaque.
2. Use of DHT Blocker shampoo
A DHT blocker shampoo isn’t just a shampoo. Its major components consist of compound that inhibits DHT and its production. They also limit the production of the enzyme alpha 5 reductase which is responsible for converting 5% of testosterone to DHT. These shampoos also work to reduce an overload of DHT on the scalp. When purchasing these shampoos, ensure they have ingredients like, flax seeds, sesame seed, pumpkin seeds, saw palmetto, nettle extract. Caffeine, Azelic Acid and Aloe Vera. You may undecided on whether to get your DHT blocker shampoo. Let me give a little push with a few advantages of these shampoos.
- Aid in improved blood flow in the scalp hence enabling feeding of the hair follicles as required.
- Cleanses the scalp from any dirt, product build up, dandruff and excess sebum as it strips off DHT.
- Unclog blocked pores.
- Thickening of area where hair was initially thinning,
- Healthier general outlook of hair,
Examples of DHT blocker shampoo
- Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Stimulating shampoo.
- TOP RATED 2020 SHAMPOO FOR HAIR REGROWTH STIMULATION
- Contains highly effective CaffinoPlex blend designed and researched to...
- Contains powerful caffeine compounds which have been shown to reduce...
Its major ingredients are saw palmetto, ketoconazole and caffeine.
- RX Hair Loss shampoo.
- ❤️CLINICAL LAB STRENGTH Top selling unisex advanced new special...
- ❤️100% NATURAL ORGANIC, safe all hair types: color treated, gray,...
- ❤️STOP ALOPECIA DANDRUFF PSORIASIS & ECZEMA. Breakthrough anti...
Main components are Vitamin B6, aloe vera, saw palmetto and argan oil.
NISIM BioFactors Shampoo for Normal To Dry Hair 33oz
- Designed for Normal to Dry Hair: NewHair BioFactors Shampoo for Normal...
- Reduce Excessive Hair Loss: Nisim NewHair Biofactors Shampoo for...
- Deep Cleansing Shampoo: NISIM NewHair BioFactors Shampoo is a deep...
PURA D'OR Hair Thinning Therapy System - Biotin Shampoo & Conditioner...
- HAIR THICKENING HAIR CARE SET: Reduce visible signs of hair thinning...
- MOISTURIZING ARGAN OIL SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER: The combination of...
- PROTECT YOUR HAIR: Sulfate and Paraben Free shampoo and conditioner...
- HairStem DHT Blocking Hair Loss and Hair Growth Shampoo.
- Argan oil shampoo.
- Nizoral Anti-dandruff Shampoo.
- Nioxin Shampoo System.
3. Natural remedies to get rid of DHT
- Black pepper. Due to presence of piperine, black pepper inhibits DHT and testosterone.
- Black tea. Taking black tea is advantageous since it causes no sexual effects. It not only raises testosterone while reducing DHT levels, it also increases libido. It has both hair and health advantages to users.
- Taking green tea.
- Reduce your calorie intake
- Vitamin B2-incorporate foods rich in vitamin B2 in your diet.
- Pumpkin seeds. They block build up DHT in the hair follicle.
- Take foods rich in lycopene like watermelons, mangoes, carrots and even tomatoes. Lycopene naturally inhibits 5 alpha reductase.
- Vegetables and food rich in zinc should be taken in regularly. They include kale, spinach, and white mushroom, just to mention a few. Zinc extracts contain phytosterol which restrains DHT production. It also lessens the areas DHT can attach itself on the scalp and hair follicles.
- Sesame seeds. They inhibit 5 alpha reductase. You can use sesame seed oil, add it in soups, salads or even add them into your smoothie.
- Flax seed. Lowers levels of testosterone hence lowering levels of DHT too.
- Stinging nettle. Fresh nettle juice is the best in reducing hair loss but powdered extract from the nettle leaf can also work.
- Applying emu oil. It blocks DHT while promoting hair growth.
- Bone soup. It’s rich in protein and amino acids hence promoting hair growth.
- Take foods rich in biotin like legumes, cooked eggs, tuna, berries and wheat.
- Intake of high starch based foods since they are high on copper. It is not advisable to use copper supplements instead.
- Generally on dieting, avoid foods that are acid forming and you will naturally reduce DHT from your scalp.
4. Other ways to curb DHT
- Use of trichogen. This is made from combining herbal extracts for the purpose of preventing DHT. It breaks down DHT and catalyzes new hair growth. It can be found in various forms such as conditioners and shampoos.
- Use of 5AR inhibitors. 5AR Inhibitors like Finasteride and Dutasteride prevent testosterone from converting into DHT in the body.
- Use of minoxidil. It is one of the DHT blocker and although it has some side effects, it is effective in preventing hair loss caused by DHT. It can be purchased over the counter though it is advised not to use it for long as it may become in effective.
- Saw palmetto. One can take the dried whole berries or the liquid extract. It is also available as powdered capsules. Helps in reducing the levels of DHT in the body and also prevents it from binding with the hair follicles. It is preferable since it brings no side effects
- Testosterone treatments. These treatments are very helpful especially to old men who have low testosterone levels and very high DHT levels as the treatments aid in reducing these levels.
How to regrow your hair
Steps to prepare your scalp for new hair growth
For hair to grow, the scalp needs to be cleaned in order to ensure that hair can no regrow. Dead skin and pollutants are some of the things that are normally cleaned up. You can use the following summarized steps as preparation process:
- Make the exfoliating mask and test it on a small section of your skin to see if it will react.
- Wash your hair using a good shampoo preferably a DHT blocking shampoo. Let your hair dry.
- Generously apply the exfoliator on your scalp as you massage it in.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Massage your scalp for 10 minutes to boost blood flow.
- Remember a healthy diet focused on proteins, vitamins and minerals.
- Ensure to drink water regularly.
- Wash your hair regularly to avoid any buildup of dirt and products.
- Be keen and observant for any negative or positive changes on your hair and scalp
- Constantly read and find new and better ways to pamper your scalp and hair
- Give it time. An empire is not built within a day.
How to prevent DHT from reoccurring
In many scenarios you will find that DHT may reoccur. This may be a headache but not to worry. We’ve got you covered. Here are tips on how to prevent the reoccurrence and control DHT.
- One of the ways can be through stimulating the scalp. The scalp needs to be stimulated in order to ensure proper blood flow in the scalp which promotes hair growth.
- Scalp massage. Massage your scalp gently using your finger tips for around 10 minutes every day to reduce scalp tension and increase blood flow in the hair follicle. It is also advantageous to go about your scalp massage using essential oils.
- Scalp exercises. This enables improved blood circulation in the hair follicles through exercising the muscles in your head. It can be done through stretching your eyebrows far up and far low as you can.
- Chemical stimulation. This involves applying a mixture of hair growing ingredients to your scalp which contain minerals such as vitamins and amino acids. It acts as a DHT blocker and also improves circulation of blood in your scalp.
- It can also be done through taking of over the counter drugs. There are categories that these hair loss pills can be grouped, which are:
- DHT inhibitors – these prevents testosterone hormone and 5-alpha reductase, which form DHT, from binding.
- Anti-androgens – these prevent DHT from binding to the androgen receptor.
Now that you have the knowledge, you have the power within your hands to drive DHT and its effects away. Remember, you have to give it time.
Other Related Posts You Should Read
- Best Hair Straightener Iron – [ REVIEW OF THE BEST 6]
- 7 Best Keratin Treatment Products: [That Will Make You Fall Deeper in Love with Your Hair!]
- Best Curling Iron – [BEST 5 For Exquisite Shiny Curls That Will Turn Heads!]
- 5 Best Hair curlers for 2017 [At a Price That Doesn’t Kill Your Wallet!]
- Crochet braids | 12 Crochet Hairstyles With Pictures – [ Includes EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW]
- How to do Crochet Braids [Step by Step] – Including Crochet Braids Care and Maintenance
- How To Dye Your Hair Safely – [ To Last Longer And Look Cute At The First Attempt]
- How to Curl Your Hair With a Curling Iron In only 5 Minutes
- Read More Articles on Beauty and Fashion Designs
Last update on 2021-01-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API