Hair straighteners are amazing hair styling tools that do wonders for everyone, regardless of the type of hair they have. This being said, have you ever had a really bad experience with a hair straightener for any reason? It could be as simple as not heating up as quickly as it used to or even making a weird burning smell while you’re using it. If you feel like you have experienced this sort of thing, then chances are you need to clean the plates of your flat iron. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to clean hair straightener ceramic plates; that is what this article will show you step-by-step.
So, why should you clean the ceramic plates of your hair straightener? The products that you use on your hair to protect it from heat damage can actually stick to the iron plates and build up over time. For example, the heat protectant serums that you use before using your flat iron can build up on the plates while using it. This buildup might not seem like a big deal at first, but after continuous use, the buildup can completely cover the plates and prevent them from working properly. This can cause damage to your hair, even if you apply a heat protectant serum before using the iron.
For the above reason and others therefore, cleaning the plates of your hair straightener is a must! Especially if you want to ensure that your hair will continue to look healthy, shiny, and smooth every single time you use it. Even if you don’t have product build up, it’s important to clean the plates to ensure that they are working properly and won’t burn your hair. It’s not something that you would think needs to be done but trust me; you’ll understand why you should do it after reading this article.
Now, you don’t have to clean the plates after every use, but you should do it about twice a month. As I said, if you don’t know how to clean hair straightener ceramic plates, don’t worry. I’ll go through the steps to easily clean them so you can be back in business in no time.
How to clean Hair Straightener Ceramic plates. Things you will you will need
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B019DM86LA’ text=’Paper towels’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’designsauthority-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’4b211e4c-9f49-11e7-bcfc-ebe559e69fe4′]
- Warm water
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B01GD7QKXE’ text=’Cotton balls or cotton swabs’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’designsauthority-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1fadcf30-9f4a-11e7-af55-8325eb2441ac’]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B00F8KZUIE’ text=’Professional cleaning solution’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’designsauthority-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a9bf91ff-9f4a-11e7-80eb-876a877fec71′] or
- Nail-polish remover, ammonia, spray-on oven cleaner, rubbing alcohol
- Old toothbrush
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B001JYVDSE’ text=’Steel wool pad’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’designsauthority-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’02cc81ef-9f4b-11e7-83ab-e7bb3545efb3′]
Before we get into the steps there is a warning that must be addressed: DO NO SUBMERGE THE FLAT IRON IN ANY LIQUID. Even if the iron is unplugged and turned off, do not do this. It will only cause your iron to stop working and even spark the next time you use it, so try hard to avoid getting a lot of liquid on your hair straightener while you’re cleaning it.
Cleaning Hair Straightener Ceramic Plates: 7 Steps to Easily Clean Your Flat Iron Ceramic Plates
- Turn off and unplug your flat iron before you do any cleaning on the plates. If the iron is hot, let it cool for a few minutes (about 5) to ensure that you don’t burn yourself.
- Using a wet paper towel, you can just use warm water for this step, wipe down the plates while it’s still warm. Doing this step will help you remove a lot of the products that you may use while straightening your hair.
- Use a cotton ball or swab to ensure that you’ve gotten into the tiniest areas that you might not have been able to reach with the paper towel.
- Use a paper towel covered in your professional cleaning solution (or one of the other household products that work the same way) and wipe down your flat iron plates.
- You should go over any areas that you struggled cleaning with a toothbrush and/or a steel wool pad. The toothbrush can reach into smaller cracks than the cotton swab and will get rid of any hard to remove buildup. When using the steel wool, you must be careful to avoid scratching up the plates – you should only use this if there is buildup that will not go away.
- After you’ve used the cleaning solution, make sure that you go back over the plates with a damp paper towel to ensure that you aren’t going to be damaging your hair with these products.
- You’re all done!
This cleaning process shouldn’t take more than about 10 minutes, but by doing this, you’re ensuring that your hair is more protected from being burnt by a dirty iron. Plus, it will help you keep your iron in working condition longer.
VIDEO: HOW TO SAFELY CLEAN FLAT IRON CERAMIC PLATES
Here is a nice video by UniQueLeeMade (on youtube) that provides more details and unique ways for safely cleaning and restoring ceramic irons. The photos used on this article are from this video.
Some Tips on how to clean hair straightener ceramic plates
During the hair straightener cleaning process, you should look at the plates of your hair straightener to ensure that there isn’t any damage. Something to look out for cracks in the plates; these can catch on your hair as you’re using the iron and can cause split ends and other problems. So, now is the time to get a good look at your hair straightener and ensure that everything is in top condition.
You should also look at the cord of your hair straightener while you’re cleaning it. If you notice that there are any areas that look like they’re broken, or you can see the wires inside, you should replace it. But, if you notice that there are a couple spots that are looking worn, but they aren’t exposed, just keep an eye on it and replace it if they continue to worsen.
That is all there it is. I hope you can use this learned knowledge on how to clean hair straightener ceramic plates to keep your flat iron working in tiptop condition.
Other Recommended and Related Articles
- LiveStrong.com : How to Clean the Ceramic Plates on a Hair Straightener
- Best Professional Hair Dryer | (BEST 6 Hair Dryers For Hair Which Will ELEGANTLY STAND OUT!)
- Best Curling Iron – [BEST 5 For Exquisite Shiny Curls That Will Turn Heads!]
- 7 Best Keratin Treatment Products: [That Will Make You Fall Deeper in Love with Your Hair!]
- Best Flat Iron for Fine Hair: Sam Villa Signature Series Texturizing Hair Straightener Review
- MHU Professional Travel Size 0.5-inch Mini Hair Straightener Review : [The Best Mini Flat Iron for Kids, Travel, Short Hair, Bangs, and the Long Hairs’ Tail]
- Best Hair Straightener for Long Thick Coarse Hair: Turboion Rbb Croc Classic Straightener Review
- Best Hair Straightener Iron for Natural, African American Hair – RUSK Engineering CTC Technology Professional Straight Iron Review
- Hair straightener do’s and don’ts
- BaByliss Pro Nano Wet-To-Dry Hair Straightener Review