Are you looking for the best keratin treatment products to give you incredibly smooth, straight, and soft hair? Here are the 7 best keratin treatment products s that will make you fall deeper in love with your hair. Please continue reading up to section 3 where I review the best 7 for your hair type.
Your hair is made up of keratin that you lose daily by aging, using heat, or coloring your hair. But by doing a keratin hair treatment you are adding that keratin back into your hair to restore it. So why should you do these keratin treatments? Because they are simple and they have amazing results that will make you fall deeper in love with your hair. You don’t even have to go out and dole out a bunch of money at a pricey salon – that’s how simple they are.
There are so many benefits from doing a keratin hair treatment, here is a list of just a few of the things that a keratin treatment can do for your hair:
- Makes your hair stronger – it helps decrease the amount of breakage, split ends, and prevent shedding.
- It can remove any chemicals left in your hair from hard water or from shampoo.
- Your hair color will start to look more natural because you are replenishing the protein amounts in your hair.
- It helps prevent frizz – especially during humid days.
- Helps cut down the amount of time needed to style and dry your hair.
There are so many more benefits, but these five are the ones that most of us are looking for when we treat our hair.
2. The Different Types of Keratin Treatments For Hair
If you’ve decided to do a keratin hair treatment you should know that they are not a “one-size fits all” sort of deal. In order to help you out, here is a list of the best treatments you can find and what they are best used for. for a full individual review, read section 3 below.
Brazilian Keratin Treatment
- This keratin treatment eliminates frizz and smooths hair.
- Ideal for curly hair that is very susceptible to humidity.
- A Brazilian treatment gently straightens your hair and the results last for three months if you take care of it correctly.
- Most treatments do not contain formaldehyde
How it’s done:
- Apply the treatment to your hair and then blow-dry your hair, this treatment can take up to 90 minutes – depending on your hair length and thickness. You should then go ahead and use a hot flat iron to seal in the treatment to the strands of your hair.
- The best thing about this type of treatment is that you can wash your hair right afterward.
Soft Keratin Treatment
- Eliminates frizz, and keeps curls intact.
- Ideal for if you like curls and waves, but have trouble getting them to stay defined in your hair. This allows that to happen and helps you keep them without using a bunch of product. It’s also best for fine to medium textured hair.
- Should as long as two months
- Free of formaldehyde
How it works:
- Simply coat your hair from root to tip using the serum provided.
- You should then seal in the treatment by blow-drying your hair and using a hot ceramic flat iron.
Japanese Keratin Hair Treatment
- Japanese hair treatments work by breaking the bonds in your hair and realigning them.
- These are PERMANENT until your hair grows out.
- You probably won’t find these on the market for you to do at home, but if you do and this is something you’re really curious about doing it, talk to your local salon before doing anything, just to make sure it won’t damage your hair.
Japzilian Keratin Treatment For Hair
- This treatment is a mixture of a Japanese and a Brazilian treatment.
- Smooths and straightens your hair.
- Can last five months longer than a Brazilian treatment alone.
How it works
- First, you’ll want to do a Brazilian treatment to your hair, just to allow the curls to loosen up. Then, you’ll add the Japanese treatment product on top of the pretreated hair to lock and seal any fizz out.
- This does not require any styling using heat, all you should do is simply air dry your hair after doing this treatment.
- BUT, this treatment can take five hours to get through. On the bright side, you can rinse and dry your hair one hour after completing the treatment.
Moroccan Keratin Treatment (Argan Oil)
- Rebuilds your hair so that it is soft, elastic, and naturally vibrant. The Moroccan oil allows more conditioning and added vitality to your hair.
- With this type of treatment, remember that a little goes a long way. You don’t want your hair looking extremely greasy after doing this treatment.
How it’s done
- You basically just take a tiny amount of oil, just enough to coat your hair and allow it to absorb without making your hair look drenched. You’ll then dry your hair and treat however the bottle says you should.
- This is a short treatment for those of you who aren’t looking for anything that is long-lasting.
- Ideal for someone who is looking to make their hair more manageable in the short run than trying to have a treatment that is going to last for months.
- If you have wavy or straight hair that becomes really frizzy, and you’re looking for a short-term treatment – you should look into this type of keratin treatment.
How it’s done
- You apply the serum that you buy to your hair, and then you seal it in using a blow dryer and a flat iron. This can take 45 minutes to fully complete.
- When you’ve finished the treatment, you should find that your hair takes half the time as it did before to fully blow dry.
- You should then use a keratin-based, sulfate-free shampoo, and wash your hair every other day to extend the results of your treatment. By doing this the treatment should last you four-six weeks.
Those are only a few different types of keratin products that you can find on the market today, of course, there an abundance of other ones that I have not touched on. But here are the 7 best keratin treatment products you can buy and why.
3. Best Keratin Treatment Review – The 7 Best Keratin Treatment Products
Now that you have a better idea of what a keratin hair treatment is, and their benefits, here is a list of the top 7 keratin products / keratin treatments that is simple to use and have amazing results!
#1. Keratin Research Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment
This keratin product is fast and very simple to use, and it works for all different hair types. It leaves your hair soft, flexible, elastic, and with a fantastic natural shine.
- Really straightens your hair, without making it look puffy or fluffy.
- You only have to wait 24 hours before you can wash your hair and see the results.
- Works for a variety of hair types.
- Makes your hair feel soft.
- You might find this product to be very fumy!
- There is a lot that you need to do in order to actually do this treatment, but you’ll find that the results are worth the work.
- In order to apply the product properly, you may need two people.
#2: Gold Label Professional Keratin Treatment
This product works extremely well if you have thick coarse hair. Not only does it strengthen your hair, it also eliminates frizz and prevents the hair from being damaged from heat.
- Your hair is definitely more manageable after using this product.
- After using the product, you’ll notice that there is less breaking/shedding than before.
- Curls stay in place!
- High formaldehyde level which leads to a VERY strong smell.
- As you are using this product, you might notice that your hair feels a little dryer than it normally is.
# 3. Lanza Keratin Healing Oil Treatment
This product is SO simple to use, the suggested use is to distribute a small amount throughout damp or dry hair, and then just dry it. How simple is that?
- Super easy to use.
- The oil is not as runny as most hair oils, in fact, the thickness of it is enough to allow it to thoroughly soak through your hair.
- A little goes a long way!
- Restores, moisturizes, strengthens, and increases shine!
- You might find that this product has a bit of an egg smell to it.
- The oil might be too thick/heavy for your liking.
- It doesn’t work very well with a variety of hair types (i.e. coarse hair).
#4. Moroccan Keratin Most Effective Brazilian Keratin
This keratin product straightens, smooths, and repairs your hair for 3-7 months, you won’t have to worry about doing a keratin hair treatment every month or so because this product was formulated to last!
- This product actually works: you will notice that it keeps your hair straight and smooth for months.
- You will notice results as soon as you wash and dry your hair after waiting three days after the treatment.
- The process of doing this treatment can take you a very long time if you have long and/or thick hair.
- This product is made to only last you one treatment, which can start to be rather expensive.
- The smell of the product, while you’re using, it can be really overwhelming.
#5: Instanatural Keratin Hair Mask Treatment
This keratin product is perfect for you who is looking for something that will effectively moisturize your hair, without taking up too much time. This product works for all hair types: curly, dry, frizzy, etc.
- This keratin treatment is a hair mask, which makes it incredibly easy and quick to use.
- Leaves your hair feeling super soft and luxurious.
- You’ll find that you’ll need to use less hair styling products when you’re doing your hair.
- You can do this treatment, and watch Netflix, do chores, etc. all while you let it do its’ magic!
- You might find that this product smells like glue and that it leaves your hair feeling as though you actually used glue.
- Very greasy product, so it can lead to your hair looking/feeling greasy after using it.
#6. Keratin Treatment Set – Organic – Formaldehyde Free – 16 Fl Oz by KERARGANIC
If you love the results a keratin hair treatment does, but you don’t like the smell that some products can have: this is the product for you. There are 3 steps (products) to this treatment all of which do their own little thing to make your hair look and feel amazing!
- They don’t contain formaldehyde so the products all smell great.
- Incredibly easy to use, and instructions that actually make sense.
- Your hair will look straight and silky after using this product.
- You might find that this treatment doesn’t last very long, in some cases up to a week.
- Quite a few steps to follow!
#7. Global Keratin Color Protection Moisturizing Shampoo
If you have color treated hair, you might want to look into this Keratin Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner. Not only does it strengthen and make your hair less frizzy, it also is gentle on colored hair.
- Makes your hair softer, shinier, and reduces and frizz you may experience.
- You’ll find that this product does not have a bad smell to it, in fact, you’ll find that you might actually like the smell.
- You might want to make sure to read over instructions and warnings on this product because you might find that your hair can start to fall out.
4. How to do a Keratin Hair Treatment at Home
Okay, so now that we talked about some very specific types of treatments and how those are applied, let’s look at the general way to do an at-home keratin hair treatment!
Step 1: Wash your hair
- For this step, you’ll need to scrub your hair using a clarifying shampoo. You’ll want to make sure that your hair is as clean as you can get it because typically this will be the last time you are able to wash your hair for up to three days.
- Clarifying shampoo should remove any residue that is in/on your hair, so you’ll know that you’ve done a good job when your hair sounds squeaky.
- Do not use any conditioner after cleaning your hair: you want your hair to be as porous as possible to actually absorb the keratin treatment.
Step 2: Dry your hair completely
- You should use a blow- hair dryer to do this, and it should be set to high heat.
- You need to make sure that your hair is COMPLETELY dry, my recommendation is to dry your hair for at least 10 minutes.
Step 3: Comb through your hair
- Using a wide-tooth comb, you should comb through your hair to remove any and all knots and tangles that you find.
- As you’re doing that, you should separate your hair into at least three sections (both sides, and the back either in one section or more).
Step 4: Apply the product
- You should thoroughly read through the instructions on the bottle of your treatment.
- Most treatments you should wear gloves, pour the treatment into a bowl, and scoop out a little bit of product at a time and apply it to the sections of hair that are not pinned up.
- Apply the treatment by starting to the upper middle of each section and working your way upwards and downwards until it is completely coated.
- Rake your fingers through your hair to ensure that each hair in the sections is thoroughly coated if you need to go through and recoat any sections that may need a touch up.
- You want your hair to be completely coated, but not drenched with the product. If you have accidentally applied too much product, just comb through your hair to remove and excess product.
Step 5 – Dry your hair
- You should wear a mask during this part because most products have a very strong formaldehyde smell to it.
- You need to completely dry the treatment by using a blow hair dryer on medium heat.
- You should avoid flipping your hair upside down, instead use clips to help you get underneath your hair.
- You should then wait 10-15 minutes before moving on to step 6.
Step 6 – Straighten your hair
- After ensuring that your hair is completely dry, use a hot flat iron to straighten your hair. Read: 6 Best Hair Straightener Iron – [ REVIEW OF THE 6 BEST FLAT IRONS]
- You’ll want to comb through your hair first to ensure there are no tangles or knots. Keep in mind that your hair is going to feel gross and frizzy: that is just the keratin!
- You want your flat iron to be HOT (no lower than 400 degrees)
- WEAR A MASK WHEN YOU ARE DOING THIS STEP: this is when the fumes really start
- Portion your hair into sections and go over each section 5-7 times to ensure that you have completely sealed the product in. You should continue this process until you have completely gone over all sections of your hair, you’ll know that you’re done when your hair is completely straight.
Remember: usually, after doing a keratin treatment you can’t wash your hair for up to three days, so just keep that in mind after you’ve finished doing your treatment. I know that sounds horrendous, but trust me: the results are worth it.
Now you know the best keratin treatment products and you are loaded with all the facts and tips for performing your own keratin hair treatment, good luck!
Other Related Posts You Should Read
- 5 Best Coconut Oil for Hair Products – For Beautiful, Shiny, Smooth Hair [LET YOUR HAIR GLOW]
- Best Curling Iron – [BEST 5 For Exquisite Shiny Curls That Will Turn Heads!]
- 5 Best Hair curlers for 2017 [At a Price That Doesn’t Kill Your Wallet!]
- Crochet braids | 12 Crochet Hairstyles With Pictures – [ Includes EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW]
- How to do Crochet Braids [Step by Step] – Including Crochet Braids Care and Maintenance
- Related posts on Livestrong.com