1. Intro to the Best Hair Straightener
Are you looking for the best hair straightener? You are not alone. All of us either know someone who is attached to their hair straightener, or we’re that person. A third of all women – and one in five men – own at least one hair straightener: that’s how popular they are.
On this page, you are going to discover the best hair straightener you can buy for that perfect hair look. I review the 6 best, ranking them for # 1 to #6 (see below on section 3). In section 2 on this page, I share with you the factors you should consider in order to buy the best hair straightener iron. In section 4, I share how to effectively straighten your hair using your hair straightening iron. And lastly in section 5, I give you tips for efficient use and maintenance of hair straightener.
So What is a Hair Straightener Iron?
Hair straighteners do exactly what they’re named after: you use them to straighten your hair. You can also use them to create curls, waves, and smooth out your hair. All hair types can use them, the only difference between different hair types is the amount of time required to use it, the temperature needed, the size of the iron, etc.
2. Hair Straightener Buying Guide – Factors to consider In Order To Buy The Best Hair Straightener
It is painful to buy anything and find out later that it can not cater to your needs. So, before reviewing the best hair straightener (in section 3 below), I wanted to first share with you these tips for choosing a hair straightening iron that is right for your hair.
- The first thing you should consider when searching for a hair straightener is what size you should buy. The general rule is that the shorter the hair, the thinner the flat iron and vice versa.
Here is a quick little list to help you out:
- ½” Mini Flat Iron: best for pixie cuts and bangs
- 1” Flat Iron: best for short, fine hair
- 1 ¼” Flat Iron: best for shoulder-length, medium-thick hair
- 1 ½” Flat Iron: best for thick, coarse, curly hair longer than the shoulders
- 2” Flat Iron: best for think, very long hair
- There are also a difference in the type of hair straightener you can buy: ceramic, titanium, and tourmaline. Ceramic plates allow for an even distribution of heat and have a lower potential of burning your hair. Titanium plates heat up the quickest and they transfer heat faster than ceramic plates if used properly, it also creates less potential for heat damage. Tourmaline plates make the hair shinier, straighter, and less frizzy than other iron options. It all just sort of depends on what you’re really looking for and the price you’re willing to pay.
When you use any sort of hair straightener please remember to use a heat protectant spray before putting the hot iron on your hair at all. This just helps prevent dryness, breakage, and overall fried hair. Spritz the hair protectant spray while your hair is damp to put a barrier between the flat iron and your hair. You also should try your hardest to not set the temperature of your iron above 365 degrees because you’re basically just asking for your hair to be burnt to a crisp. If you have fine hair, you really should use your iron between 300-325 degrees for the best results.
If you want to create a bit of a curl to your hair but you’re not quite sure how here’s a little trick for you. Once you’ve straightened part of your hair, while it’s still hot drape it over a brush and let it cool. This gives you a slight curl in your hair while being super easy to achieve. If you want to create volume in your hair you should flat iron your hair up toward the ceiling when you get to the crown of your hair. Another tip is to use a comb at the same time as you’re straightening your hair to fully achieve that smooth, straight hair you want.
Okay, now that I’ve given you some serious tips and advice for purchasing a flat iron, here is a list of the top 6 flat irons you can buy on Amazon:
3. Best Hair Straightener Reviews – The 5 Best Hair Straightening Irons
#1: HSI Professional Flat Iron Hair Straightener
This straightening iron does not snag or tug at your hair, in fact you should find that not one of your hairs gets ripped out in the plates. There is no burning hair smell, which is perfect because who likes to smell their hair burning?! This product works quickly and efficiently: it took away frizz and works well on stubborn, thick hair. It is super lightweight and is easy to use. Some people found that the plates of this iron weren’t even and because of the gap that issue creates it wouldn’t grasp their hair very well. Another issue was that some people found that even though it heated up fast, it didn’t stay hot when it was being used. There are also no safety features such as an auto shut off, no reset plug, or other gadgets – you’re just getting an affordable, great hair straightener.Click Here to Securely Buy It On Amazon(Get Free Shipping)
#2: BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated Straightening Iron
This hair straightener is perfect for those of you who have thick, curly hair because it works perfectly for it! When using BaBylissPro Nano, hair straightener, you will like the fact that even though you have thick hair, you may only have to use it one time to get your hair straight until you shower. In fact, some people not once did they have to do a touch-up. There are so many amazing reviews on this product expressing how amazing it worked for their hair and gave them salon worthy hair. A negative to this hair straightener is that it does not stay preset to the same temperature when you turn it on/off again, which isn’t a huge issue it can just become tedious and annoying.Click here to securely buy it on Amazon
#3: FemJoie Electric Hair Straightener Brush
I’m going to start out this review of this hair straightening iron by saying that this hair straightener is not your ordinary iron: no, this one is shaped like a BRUSH. You literally plug the straightener in, let it heat up, and then brush through your hair. It’s that simple. Now you can straighten your hair without pulling it out and causing breakage. It also does not create any creases in your hair that you could find using a plain old iron, and you can create curls/waves with this product effortlessly. Because it shaped like a brush, it can get to your roots so much better than any other hair straightener can.
A complaint about this product is that the power button and the temperature control buttons are right along the handle and are very sensitive. So if you’re not careful you can either turn the brush off or make the temperature too much or too low.Click here to securely buy FemJolie on Amazon
#4: CHI Original Pro 1” Ceramic Ionic Tourmaline Flat Iron Hair Straightener
Why is this the #4 best hair straightener on this list? The reasons are many.
User of this straightening iron love it. This hair straightener causes very little breakage or damage to your hair, in fact most people found that their hair looked very healthy even though they use it most days. You can straighten your hair in the morning and it stays that way all day, even though hot and humid days. People also say that they have had this hair straightener for many years, some up to nine great years with it.
Something to be careful about is that there is a threat of receiving a counterfeit, especially if you buy for non trusted store. So just be careful and do your research when you look to purchase this product. This product can also get VERY hot, and there really isn’t much protection for your hands. But if you know how to deal with that problem and work around it then this affordable option for a hair straightener is perfect for you!Click Here To Buy It From Amazon (A trusted Online Retailer)
#5: BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron
This iron has four different heat settings, which is perfect because you can very easily adjust the heat of the iron effortlessly.
You don’t have to use the highest setting possible to achieve the best results, even if your hair is thick and curly. Another amazing thing about this product is that one pass through is enough to perfectly straighten your hair, how perfect is that? I know that I grow rather bored of having to keep going through my hair when I use one.
The edges of the iron are curled, which is incredibly helpful if you want to create curls while using it. Some people found that this product became incredibly hot and because of that it caused damage to their hair and made it brittle. There is also no automatic shut off, so please be careful and remember to turn this iron off when you’re done using it!Click Here To See Price and More Reviews on Amazon
#6: HSI Professional Digital Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener
According to many users, this hair straightener does not create a burning hair smell. It also made their hair shiny and smooth.
The hair straightening iron heats up quickly and you can clearly see the temperature you have it set at on the digital window.
It also straightens and curls with ease, and it has an auto shut off just in case you forget to turn it off ever.
Most of the negative comments about this product is that it tends to not stay at the temperature you set it at, which can be potentially horrible. Another thing about it is that the digital display is placed very badly, making it hard to read the display and see what temperature the iron is set at.Click Here To See Price and More Reviews on Amazon
I really hope that you found this useful, I know that by conducting this research I learned an awful lot about hair straighteners and the best ones out on the market today. You don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to achieve beautiful, smooth, straight hair. Just go to Amazon and look at these products, if you don’t believe me go ahead and read the reviews. I promise you that you won’t go wrong by purchasing any of the six straighteners listed above.
4. How to Straighten your Hair Using a Hair Straightener
If you’ve never straightened your hair before here are some simple steps to follow to get that perfect straight hair you’re craving.
- The first thing you should do is wash your hair using shampoo and conditioner.
- Use a towel to pat dry. All you have to do is gently pat your hair with a towel and allow the towel to absorb the water gently, no need to rub your hair too harshly.
- Apply serum. Start from the roots to the end of your hair, you should take a comb to your hair to ensure that the serum has been evenly spread through your hair. Then just let it air dry for about five minutes before doing anything else. I recommend that you use a heat protecting serum to protect your hair from the heat of the iron.
- Blow dry your hair. Click here to read my review of the best professional hair dryer here. You should start by flipping your head upside down, then first dry the roots. The easiest way to go about fully drying your hair is by splitting it up into sections and working on them one at a time. You can also use a brush to avoid any knots during drying and ensure that your hair is evenly dried.
- Apply a light coat of hair spray on the front and inner areas of your hair. This will just help keep your hair straight as you’re working on it.
Now it is use time
- Now you’re ready to start using your hair straightener. Split your hair up into individual sections and start straightening your hair using the heat mode that you know/think will work best for your hair.
- Reapply your serum as you’re finishing up strands of your hair, this is just to continue protecting your hair and keeping it smooth and shiny.
- Once you’ve finished straightening your hair apply some more hairspray, you don’t have to use a lot, just to keep your hair set as it is.
You don’t have to follow these steps if you don’t want to or if you know a better way to go about straightening your hair, these are just some tips that I found useful and wanted to share them with you!
5. Tips For Efficient Use and Maintenance of a Hair Straightener
Here are just a few maintenance tips so that you can use your hair straightener for years and continuously get those amazing results.
- You should use a washcloth and some rubbing alcohol to clean the gunk off the irons plates. This will allow your iron to better preform and straighten your hair with minimal pulling/tugging on your hair and just help distribute the heat. Now, I’m not saying you should do this all the time, just every once in a while, when you notice that your hair straightener isn’t performing as well as it usually does.
- For daily maintenance, wipe the iron down with a cloth that is moistened with water after each use. This will remove a majority of the oils and residue that collects on the surface. Trust me, you’ll see a difference in the way your iron works if you clean it regularly: a clean iron will glide through your hair and not tug.
- You should also look at what type of metal was used to make your iron, because different metals react to cleaners differently and you don’t want to ruin it while you’re cleaning.
OUR Other Related Posts We Recommend
- Best Curling Iron – [BEST 5 For Exquisite Shiny Curls That Will Turn Heads!]
- 5 Best Hair curlers for 2017 [At a Price That Doesn’t Kill Your Wallet!]
- Crochet braids | 12 Crochet Hairstyles With Pictures – [ Includes EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW]
- How to do Crochet Braids [Step by Step] – Including Crochet Braids Care and Maintenance
- Read More Articles on Beauty and Fashion Designs
- Feature Image used for this post on best hair straightener is curtsy of: knitsteel– Via Flickr under Creative Commons Licence