We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Do you want to make sure you buy the best refrigerator for your home and family? – A refrigerator that will give you peace of mind in your kitchen?. A refrigerator, a sink and stove/cook top are the primary elements in the kitchen that form the kitchen triangle. This shows that a refrigerator is one of the most important appliances in the kitchen, no matter the kitchen design or layout. So it is important that you buy the best refrigerator that your money can buy.
Let’s face it, a refrigerator does not come cheaply, in addition, it is supposed to be a long term investment. So how can you avoid buying one that is going to break and become un-repairable within months? Yes believe me; I have experienced this first-hand. Buying a refrigerator that was reviewed and recommended as the best refrigerator brand on the market (by a top review site). However, it turned out that I had wasted my money on a worthless box because within one year, the refrigerator broke down; two technicians tried to repair it but failed. The company was also not supportive and so I ended up tossing it out for a new one that I had carefully researched.
I have written this review for the best domestic refrigerator as my way of trying to reach out to you so that I prevent you from spending thousands of dollars on a box that will not perform according to expectation. I honestly don’t want to see you get blindsided by unforeseen details. I hope that the more people I can reach through this review, the more I can save from being ripped off. You too can help me reach more people by sharing this review with your friends using the share buttons on the left of this page. (A BIG THANK YOU).
I have also included some refrigerator buying guide below that may help you chose a refrigerator that is best for your domestic kitchen needs (In case you do not go with my recommendations). This features top refrigerators in the different refrigerator designs such as Side-by-side refrigerators, French door refrigerators, counter depth refrigerator, refrigerator drawers, top freezer, and bottom freezer. From top brands such as Frigidaire, LG refrigerators, GE and others.
2. Refrigerator Reviews for the Best Refrigerator in Each of the Above Types
So, without any further ado, here are my best refrigerator for your domestic Kitchen.
Best French door Refrigerator
#1: LG LFXS30766S 30.0 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel French door Refrigerator
When buying a new refrigerator or any appliance per say, the first thing that always comes to mind is brand selection. You will hear questions such as LG refrigerator vs. Frigidaire refrigerator vs. Kitchen aid refrigerator vs. so and so, which one should I buy? I know it’s a very hard job to decide between those very big brands. But if you asked me that question, I will straight away recommend to you an LG refrigerator because these beauties, in addition to their sleek and beautiful designs, they are known all over for Less power consumption, more durability and longer life.
If you seriously want a durable, long lasting, less power consumed refrigerator, then you should definitely go with LG. And for the French door style, my best choice is the LG LFXS30766S 30.0 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator. Lg got the design of this 4 door French door refrigerator right (well-coordinated with drawers and cabinets).
- The doors can be taken off so it will fit and pass through the door to its final place.
- The machine works quietly unlike other similar designs from other brands.
- A lot of space for you to store and keep your fruits, vegetables and other perishables fresh and safe.
- In addition, this design provides excellent organization with the door in door so that you can put most of your used items in there. The two drawers keep everything separated and well organized.
- As if that was not enough, it also comes with a spacious indoor ice maker which adds more usable space inside the refrigerator.
- If you still need more space, then there is the freezer which two trays to organize ice packs, veggies, large items, easy to find food, without having to pull multiple trays out and have food fall through.
- Water filter in door, leaves more space in refrigerator unlike other popular brands.
- Drawer and freezer drawer glide to close themselves.
- Door alarm sounds cool.
- You will not get problems with ice coming out, its’ water spout is nice and high so no crouching.
The only few downsides with this refrigerator is that its Ice production of 3.5lbs may not be enough if you are expecting to host many guests, which may require you to use ice cube trays of buy a bag of ice.
Secondly, if you are the type that loves to hand or attach things (whiteboards or calendars) to front door of your refrigerator, you may find it difficult because I found that no magnet can stick to door front. However, you can stick them on side only coz magnets can attach there.
Besides those few downsides, this still remains my best refrigerator and highly recommended French door refrigerator.
#2: Samsung Appliance RF28JBEDBSG 36″ Energy Star Rated Food Showcase French Door Refrigerator.
In the world of refrigerators, if you want to buy an attractive and quick refrigerator, there is no brand that beats Samsung. They have managed to constantly release models with different outer designs to give you a wide range to choose from. For the French door style design the Samsung RF28JBEDBSG model tops their entire sister (or brother) models.
With a total capacity of between 35-36 cubic feet, with five shelves, two humidity-controlled crispers, and six door bins, no family size can complain of limited storage space. This is more than enough for even large families and those who love to cook and entertain. You can store all your favorite drinks, party platters, and leftovers in there. With this large storage room, is also the smart ability of this nice looking appliance to keep your food fresh thanks to separate airflows in the refrigerator and freezer. In the FlexZone store, you can be able to keep your food at four different temperature zones. Do you need filtered water? No problem.
Included on this fridge is an external filtered water dispenser and an in-fridge ice maker that can produce up to 10 pounds of ice daily. However, I found that the ice takes a long time to come out because the ice maker keeps on getting stuck. Also it’s common to find the external water dispenser leaking, so you may have to constantly wipe away water. If you are not looking for the “whistle and bells”, then I would suggest you go with a French door refrigerator that has no external water dispenser, such as
The cabinets are well light with properly placed High-efficiency LED lighting in the fridge and freezer, so you can quickly spot what you need. And it is also ENERGY STAR rated and CEE Tier 2 listed.
In the second position, I would also recommend this refrigerator, especially if, in addition to huge storage space, you also need a fridge that will look beautiful in your kitchen and is reliable.
- Total (Cu.Ft.): 27.8 / Fridge: 15.7 + 3.8 / Freezer: 8.3
- Food ShowCase Door With Metal Cooling
- FlexZone Drawer With Metal Cooling
BEST COUNTER DEPTH REFRIGERATOR
#1: Frigidaire DGHF2360PF Gallery 22.6 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Counter Depth French door Refrigerator
This Frigidaire refrigerator is great and the best refrigerator, has a 3.6/5 user rating, sleek design and It is roomy as well. It is well lit inside with Multi-Level LED Lighting so you can easily see through. It is also dual Ice Ready with and Ice/Water Filtration, external Ice/Water Dispenser and auto Oven Shut-Off.
- Total (cu. Ft.): 22.6 / Fridge: 15.7 / Freezer: 6.9
- Counter Depth Design
- SpacePro Shelving System
#2: LG LFC21776ST 20.7 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Counter Depth French door Refrigerator – Energy Star
With a fancy and nice surface finish, this is second best refrigerator. This lg counter depth refrigerator is perfect for large and small size families because it has plenty of storage capacities even for big family sizes with lots of parties. The fridge is relatively quiet, well lit making it easy to get to and see things. It also has an internal ice maker which you can turn on or off and works perfectly well compared to other brands.
Temperature controls are easy to read and understand and you will not encounter any problems regarding keeping temperatures where you want them. In addition, it is and energy star winner. The stainless steel doors are so easy to clean and easy to avoid leaving smears when operating the fridge. All the drawers work fine and the fridge is durable (Long lasting). With good handling, expect to stay with this fridge for many years.
Best Top-freezer Refrigerator
# 1: Frigidaire FFTR2021QS 30″ Top Freezer Refrigerator.
When you are going to spend upwards of $600 on an appliance, you need assurance that it will deliver years of service while it continues to do its job of keeping your food stuff cold, safe and fresh so you don’t have to worry about stocking up. This is the type of assurance and peace of mind that you will get with Frigidaire FFTR2021QS 30 inch refrigerator. This 30-inch-wide model is the best refrigerator in this category. It is extremely energy efficient, maintains very good temperature control and has with a good usable space of 20.3 cu. ft. Capacity, which is enough room even for the avid grocery shopper. It also has a Half-Width Drawer Offers you another storage option that is conveniently located so you have easy access to foods such as deli meat and cheeses.
It comes with Space Wise Adjustable Glass Shelves so that you can easily adjust shelves up and down to create more space for taller items.
It has a full-Width Wire Freezer Shelf which gives you a way to organize items in your freezer better so you can find food quickly.
It features a light in the refrigerator compartment as well so that you find or place food quickly
If you want to buy American, this beauty is built with American Pride: Designed, engineered and assembled in the U.S.A and is Energy Star Qualified. If price is not an issue for you, I would recommend you go with this because it is top quality and performs better than other brands of the same types which are even expensively priced for no reason.
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like...
#2: Avanti RA7316PST 2-Door Apartment Size Refrigerator.
This is a top freezer refrigerator but more suitable for apartments, dorm rooms, offices or for small kitchens. This was my first refrigerator and boy I loved it so much. With a customer rating of 4.1 out of a maximum 5, the Avanti model is one of the bestselling refrigerator on Amazon and also one of the top rated. The reason, besides its manageable price, is because it is highly efficient and durable. It is built decently and works great. You will have many slots to put the shelves into so that you can easily setup one section for tall things. It also works quietly without the noise other refrigerators make.
If you are looking for an efficient refrigerator that will fit perfectly in your apartment, office, or kitchen, this is the best buy. You can get in in Black or white.
The only downside with this refrigerator is that the freezer compartment is not big enough to store a lot of things. But this is compensated for by the more than enough space you get in the refrigerator section. Click Here to Read all the customer reviews and buy it on Amazon.
- Avanti 7.4 cuff 2 door refrigerator plat
Best Bottom-freezer Refrigerator
#1: Summit : FFBF285SS 13.8 cu. ft. Counter-Depth Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Stainless Steel w/o Ice
This is my number one bottom freezer refrigerator of all times. Get this summit model especially if you have a smaller kitchen and you will thank me later. First of all, their customer support is top notch. If you experience any problem with their delivered fridge, just let them know and it will be solved (replaced).
When it comes to the features, you will not be disappointed. It is a small fridge, but it serves the purpose especially for a small family of say up to four. There are very few affordable options available for city dwellers who want a decent sized true counter-depth fridge. Do not go out looking for a mammoth fridge especially if you have a small sized kitchen. Take this. This fridge is surprisingly roomy, and it fits perfectly in a narrow galley kitchen. White I like most about it is its energy efficient design of bottom freezer and single compressor which give this unit a better performance with energy savings.
Secondly, the bottom freezer is thoughtfully designed unit saves energy waste by putting the freezer under the refrigerator to keep commonly used contents at eye level.
More Great features making this the best refrigerator
It also comes with a factory installed icemaker so that you get to enjoy the convenience of ready-made ice in your freezer. The Frost-free operation feature if this refrigerator enables it to do the work with a timer defrost heater that continuously keeps ice from forming inside while the interior freezer fan Provides even temperature distribution. The only downside is that the first time you install and plugs this appliance; it will make noise as the compressor will run longer than usual until it reaches the proper temperature. Just don’t panic and get freaked out as it will subside when it finds that proper temperature.
So this fridge takes the number one spot for the best bottom freezer refrigerator.
- Manufactured to the Highest Quality Available.
- Design is stylish and innovative. Satisfaction Ensured.
- Great Gift Idea.
#2: Fisher Paykel E522BLX 17.6 cu ft Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator
Chances are that you have never heard of this brand before. Now is your lucky day because you have stumbled upon one of the best refrigerators with the bottom freezer design. This fridge can fit perfectly in small spaces and look good in bigger kitchens. It has a beautiful simple design, the right size that seems to fit in every space and the use of interior space is better than others in its size range. You will find that the controls for this refrigerator are fairly simple and make sense. The glass shelves can be easily adjusted, removed and cleaned.
If you are looking for a smaller, freezer bottom fridge but with quality, I would recommend this to you as another best refrigerator. Some reviewers bash this model and I fail to understand why because it is great quality and one of my best refrigerator. It has Active Smart electronic intelligence which provides unequaled cooling and temperature performance.
And unique humidity controlled bins which help keep fruits and vegetables fresh for up to two weeks. When it comes to storage space, this refrigerator is also generous as gives a total storage Volume of 17. 3 cu. Ft. (Of which 12. 4 cu. Ft is for the refrigerator compartment and 4. 9 cu. Ft. for the freezer.) With an Energy usage (kWh/yr) of 487, this brand is highly energy efficient and I highly recommend it.
- FISHER & PAYKEL
- Activesmart Fridge - 13.5 Cu. Ft. Counter Depth Bottom Freezer
Ok, there you have it, my list of the best refrigerator for each category to help you make an informed choice for the best refrigerator.
3. Refrigerator buying guide. Which Refrigerator design is best for your needs?
Buying a new refrigerator can be a challenge. Before you go out to buy a refrigerator, you should have in mind what type of refrigerator is best for your needs. There are several types of refrigerator designs on the market and each design has its pros and cons. This buying guide will help you better understand the options to find the best fridge that is a perfect fit for your kitchen.
There are 6 types of fridges / refrigerators on the market and you will be buying one of these:
1. Top-freezer refrigerators; this is the most common and traditional type of refrigerator. Its main characteristic is that it has a freezer component at the top and the refrigerator component at the bottom. You will choose this type if you are looking for a lot of storage room in a tight spot as this refrigerator offers the most storage space for their size.
These are still the best-selling configuration because for thousands of dollars less than their more stylish counterparts, a capable top-freezer delivers comparable performance, storage, and energy efficiency. With this refrigerator, you will easily get an average usable space of between 20 and 22 cubic feet, enough to store wide items. In total, Top-freezer refrigerators range from 30 to 33 inches wide in size. See below for my best refrigerator pick in this category.
2. Bottom Freezer refrigerators; this is the opposite variation of the above design (top freezer refrigerator). The bottom freezer refrigerator design places the refrigerator compartment (which is the most used portion of a fridge) at the top and the freezer compartment at the bottom. The advantage of this is that it reduces on the number of times you have to bend whenever picking something from the refrigerator.
They have almost the same dimensions as the top freezer fridges (30 to 33 inches wide), but they tend to have less storage room in the refrigerator section, usually 20% less than their top freezer counterparts, yet they are highly priced. The bottom freezer may pull out like a drawer or open like a door. So, you will choose this refrigerator if you need enough storage space and you do not want to be bending to get items from the refrigerator. But remember that you still have to bend any way to get out or place items in the freezer compartments at the bottom. See below for my best refrigerator in this category.
Other refrigerator types
3. Side-by-side refrigerators; in this arrangement, the freezer and the refrigerator compartments are parallel to each other (fridge on one side and freezer on the other), each with a door that opens from the middle of the appliance. These Narrow doors are a plus for small kitchens, but they usually do not open wide enough for bigger/wider items. In size, they average between 32 to 36 inches wide, and provide a usable space of up to 30 cubic feet. Another plus for this type is the fact that it usually has through-the-door ice and water dispensers and temperature-controlled bins. You will choose this refrigerator if your kitchen layout/design has limited space e.g. in the galley kitchen layout because this refrigerator gives a fairly good storage space but takes up the least room with the doors open. The best refrigerator for this category is reviewed above below.
4. French door refrigerators; When you come across a refrigerator which has two narrow doors on top, and the freezer below, with or without a drawer (s) in between, then that is a French door refrigerator. The two doors on top are for a side-by-side refrigerator and the bottom door is the freezer. They range in widths from 30 to 36 inches, with storage capacities of up to 30 cubic feet, but their usable space doesn’t match that of comparable top-freezer models. French door refrigerators are one of the most popular designs today and the most expensive because they offer the owner a lot of advantages.
These include: Wide shelves on top and equally wide shelves on the bottom, as well as a water and ice dispenser in one of the refrigerator doors. Secondly, they allow for easier accessibility to the fresh-food compartments and main refrigerator area. In addition, the space-saving small-swing doors have the added value of opening only half the fridge when stashing smaller items. My best French door refrigerator pick is reviewed below.
More types of refrigerators
5. Counter Depth refrigerator, (Built-in refrigerators and cabinet-sized refrigerators); these are designed to fit in/ blend into the walls of cabinet in your kitchen so that they will take up less space in the room. They work well in kitchen islands, hallways and other tight spaces. They are usually sleek, beautiful and pricey than standard sized refrigerators. A counter depth refrigerator does not protrude from the cabinets.
It is more aesthetically pleasing because you won’t see the sides. They come in styles of bottom-freezer and side-by-side, but sometimes French-door or four-door and usually measure 36 inches plus (width), with a storage capacity of 25 cubic feet capacity (of which only about 70 percent is usable). So, their major downside is that they offer less storage space. You will choose this if you are looking for a built-in look for your kitchen refrigerator without a built-in price and a storage option that takes up little room space. This type of refrigerator provides access to the professionally-designed look of integrated refrigeration at a fraction of the cost. See my best refrigerator pick for this design.
6. Refrigerator drawers; these cooled drawers are one of the best refrigerator in luxury kitchens. This type is installed under the countertop, similar to what is done for a dishwasher. Where by the cooled drawers pull out to allow access to perishables. They are novel and expensive, but with less energy efficiency and they do not keep food frozen.
7. Compact or mini-fridge: This is scaled-down version, some with as small as one quarter the storage capacity of a normal fridge. They are perfect for a dorm room, your office, kitchenette, basements or family rooms. There’s usually little to no freezer, making them only good for sodas and other beverages or for temporary storage of snacks (rather than milk, mayo, or other perishables). See my separate review for the best mini-fridge here.
Other interesting posts on Designs Authority
1. Kitchen Designs | Beautiful Modern Kitchen Design Ideas
Last update on 2021-06-20 at 12:12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API